Job description / Role
Consultant Intensivist is fully responsible for providing the highest level of clinical care and expertise in acceptance, assessment, diagnosis, treatment and observation of progress of patients admitted to the critical care set ups of the hospital including the care of post surgical patients, teamed up with anesthetists and other clinical staff of the department. Consultant intensivist is expected to show a great deal of involvement and commitment in clinical training, continuous medical education and clinical quality improvement activities of the hospital, achieving the goals of the healthcare group.
- Responsible for managing the assigned patients consultations as per the directives of the Medical Director.
- Responsible for initial assessment, requesting investigation, analyzing the rest results, diagnosis, treatment, and re-assessment on follow- up.
- Responsible for patients under his/ her care whenever indicated within the limits of the approved and assigned privileges.
- Prescribe or administer therapy, medication, and other specialized medical care to treat or prevent complications or disease.
- Explain procedures and discuss diagnostic results or prescribed treatments with the patients and his/ her attendants.
- Responsible for monitoring the patients' condition and progress and re-evaluate/ re-assessment and treat the patient accordingly-
- Take daily rounds for his/ her In-Patients and referred patients.
- Document and complete medical record on time and update the progress notes on the same time.
- Authenticate and sign the medical record/ progress notes with date, time and employee ID number, stamp every time. He/ She must also review and countersign all junior medical staff notes related to his/ her patients.
- Perform diagnostic or therapeutic procedures for which he/ she is specifically
- privileged according to his/ her qualification, licenses, training & experience.
- Responsible for approving the discharge summary, follow-up, medical report of his/ her patients.
- Ensure the implementation of all the approved policies and procedures, rules..regulations, protocols and guidelines, clinical pathways that guide and support the provision of clinical services.
- Direct and coordinate activities of nurses, assistants, specialists, therapists, and other medical staff in patient care.
- Contribute to the development of policies and procedures as part of the continuous quality improvement of his/ her department.
- Serve on Departmental / Hospital Committees as requested.
- Ensure that Islamic Values and Medical Ethics are respected and strictly observed.
- Take call as per hospital policy, as needed and assume the duties of Coordinator of Department.
- Responsible to attend the Code Blue (if applicable) and should be involved in all other emergency codes of the hospital.
- Ensure that all reports and information as required by the Coordinator of the Department/ Medical Director are provided.
- Responsible for identifying and appropriately transferring all the Medico-Legal Cases on time with all the proper documentation and information to the hospital management as per the hospital policy.
- Participate in the provision of clinical / academic activities of the hospital.
Qualifications / Skills Expectations for Ideal Candidates
- Graduate of a medical school recognized by the medical council of the country of origin with completion of appropriate internship and residency programs.
- Postgraduate or equivalent qualification, based on residency training program, preferably with a fellowship accepted by Saudi Council for Healthcare Specialties.
- Professional Experience and Special Skills:
- At least five (5) years of practice in his / her specialty after obtaining the higher degree in a Tertiary Care Hospital.
- Subspecialty degree or structured subspecialty training preferred.
- Excellent clinical/ technical skills in his/ her specialty.
- Knowledge of International National Healthcare Standards.
- Computer Literate/ better knowledge of MS Microsoft Word
- Excellent written and spoken Arabic and English
- Demonstrated teaching skills in respect of junior medical staff, other staff,patients and their families.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with all staff, patients and families.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Ability to work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to work effectively within a service and organization committed to achieving accreditation.
Job description / Role